Monday, April 23, 2012

Goodbyes and Hellos.

Tomorrow I will travel to Freetown and then Lungi airport.  On Thursday I will receive my parents and friend, Gail, who will be with us until May 4.  I will also leave Zach Adams and John Phiri at the airport.  Zach will be travelling home to Denver.  John will be travelling to the United States for 6 weeks, attending a major missions conference and meeting with supporters of the CRC SL.

John speaks with CRWM's Joel Hogan.  A powerful preacher,
dedicated prayer and servant leader, John will return to Zambia
within the next year.


Yesterday's Youth Thanksgiving program made me laugh out loud when I saw that it included a "Meller Drammer." But, at the risk of sounding melodramatic, I may never see either of these brothers again.  Both have had a significant impact on me and I am thankful for the opportunity to get to know both of them.





Zach sports a new hairdo after Ella 'barbed' him.  Zach has been a good friend to me and an uncle (of sorts, strange sorts) to my children.

I have slept in this man's home and he in mine.  "...we are all one in Jesus Christ."
By the grace of God, John's prayers and preaching have moved my heart and, hopefully, inspired my service.  John is from Zambia and has been here in Sierra Leone as head of this mission for six years.  Although his time is coming to a close, his presence continues to inspire and guide the church here.  Hopefully, following the June Conference of the CRC of SL, there will be a local constitution and the path towards greater local leadership will be more clear.
Despite his 'tender years', Zach is well-read, articulate and dedicated to ministry.  His charisma and language skills cause many in Sierra Leone to suggest, "Dis na Krio man!"
Zach Adams is from Denver, Colorado.  He is worked for 9 months with CRWM (Christian Reformed World Missions) and the Peoples' Foundation for Sierra Leone.  Zach has started a blog entitled, "Faith in Action," which highlights events in the CRC in SL.

Needless to say, this will be the first of numerous difficult goodbyes....

Some links:
The Peoples Foundation for Sierra Leone:
https://sites.google.com/site/bcslpartnership/recentnews/krissibucholtzthepeoplesfoundationforsierraleone
http://www.tpfsl.org/
The blog Zach created, which will now be run by local contributors:
http://crcsierraleone.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment